Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Abstract Progress

I finally got around to working on this abstract again. Part of the reason I have not made progress on this piece is because I didnt really know what I was going to do with it. Although this was the original idea, I was stuck trying to think of something better. Since I normally paint pretty literally this was a challenge to decide what to put there and what colors would go with the rest of it.
I started off with a orange tan color for the glass which didnt look awful but it didnt look good in the blue area, so I slowly started adding light blue accents to try and liven it up and just kept going.
The concept I had in my mind was for the "wine" in the glass to be flowing and swirling, with that in mind I wanted to give the entire glass the strong brush strokes and painterly feeling. One thing I wish I would have done was used the same size brush as I used for the background so the texture would stay consistent but I am not the stem of the glass would have look as good with larger brush work.

I want to add some more things to this to give it some depth but I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of the area. I quickly tried doing some light colored drips but they looked like an after thought so I wiped them off. Since this is my first abstract and I am not quite sure what I am doing if anyone has any thoughts leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment